Insurance and credit policy
Insurance and credit policy
Insurance and credit policies for our courier partners
Whilst we endeavour to ensure that the information contained therein is accurate, correct and up to date, we do not warrant, hold out or in any way represent this to be the case. Last update on 2023-07-31.
If the value of the goods is R1,000.00 and below, then The Courier Guy will automatically assume liability at no extra cost. However, insurance needs to be specified per waybill in order to claim for the value of the goods above R1,000.00.
Conditions to apply to:
- Insurance must be indicated on a per waybill basis.
- Parcels must be packaged to withstand the normal rigours of transportation. It is the responsibility of the merchant to ensure that parcels are packed according to the specifications of the Courier. If the Courier finds the parcel to be insufficiently packaged and conclude that damage was caused due to this reason, they have the right to deny the insurance claim.
- Electronics/ gadgets must be in original packaging, sealed and brand new.
- Client must be able to prove, with reasonable satisfaction of the carrier, that the article has been lost or damaged and that such damage was caused by the carrier.
- The maximum liability of the Courier to the Client shall, to the maximum extent permitted by law, be the lesser of the insured value (as provided by the Client on the waybill), and R30,000.00.
Cost relating to insurance:
- If the insured value is R1,000.00 and below, then The Courier Guy will automatically assume liability at no extra cost. Thus, all parcels shipped with The Courier Guy via Bob Go will automatically be insured up to the value of R1,000.00.
- If the value insured is above R1,000.00 but below R2,500.00, then a fixed fee of R 50.00 will be charged.
- If the value insured is above R2,501.00, then 2% of the value insured will be charged.
- Bob Go charges 2% of the cost of the insurance as an administration fee.
- The value insured is limited to a maximum of R30,000.00. This means that if the value insured is more than R30,000.00, insurance on that item will not be allowed. It will require the merchant to contact Bob Go directly in order to assist the merchant in arranging for special insurance with the courier. The Courier has the right to deny the request or ask a higher fee than specified above.
- If a parcel’s volume is bigger than 1m x 1m x 1m and/or it weighs more than 50kg, The Courier Guy will not accept any liability.
- Excess charged, for which the merchant is liable, when processing a claim:
- Hijack: minimum of at least 15% of declared value.
- Non-hijacking or no theft a minimum of 10% of the declared value.
- The excess amounts above will automatically be deducted prior to settlement.
Products that cannot be insured or for which liability will not be accepted:
It is advised that you contact the Courier before you insure a parcel, in order to confirm that the type of product is insurable. The Courier Guy only offers insurance on certain types of products, provided that they meet all of the specified packaging requirements; others, due to their nature, cannot be insured and for which liability will not be accepted. The Courier Guy will not take liability for high value goods, especially cellphones and laptops. We urge customers not to ship these types of parcels with The Courier Guy.
For a complete list specifying all of these, click here.
How to claim:
- The Courier and Bob Go must be informed of a claim within 48 hours after delivery has taken place.
- The damaged goods must be returned to the Courier, accompanied by the original invoice reflecting the cost value of the goods.
- All required documentation from the Courier must be completed as per their terms and conditions. This will be conveyed to merchants as soon as a claim is lodged.
- The merchant is required to submit all documentation within 5 business days from receiving the documentation. If documents are not received within this period, the claim(s) will be forfeited.
- The Courier will then submit the claim to their relevant insurer and provide the merchant with feedback.
- Please note that the turnaround time for credit from the Courier is around 12-18 weeks, if approved.